Monograph Information

For my monograph I am using Prompt and Utter Destruction: Truman and the Use of Atomic Bombs Against Japan By J. Samuel Walker.

Background about the author: J. Samuel Walker  is an American Historian who specializes in the field of Nuclear weaponry and technology.  He is the Historian of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. I cannot find which school he attended but he does state in the preface that he has a graduate degree.

The book was published by the University of Notch Carolina Press in 1997. The edition I have is the Revised edition which came out in 2004.

In the Preface he states the question he is trying to answer in the book: “Why President Truman used atomic bombs against Japan?”

The table of contents gives me a pretty clear idea of how he plans on laying out his argument, continually building up events leading to the creation and eventual use of the Atomic bombs. It seems pretty clear from the table that his scope throughout the book is fairly narrow on the question posed in his thesis.

Overall this book appears to be a credible, specific, possibly primary source for my paper, at the very least it will be a secondary source and provide other primary sources

Walker, J. Samuel. Prompt and utter destruction: Truman and the use of atomic bombs against Japan. Rev. ed. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 2004.