1. Briefly describe the library research that you did towards choosing a topic. Include at least two reference books that you used and three library card catalog subject headings that you found useful.
In the library researched books through the catalog on the Atomic bombs and World War Two. I used the search words “Nuclear bomb”, “Atomic Bomb”, “Hiroshima and Nagasaki”, “World War Two”, and ” The Second World War”. The most useful of these were “Nuclear bomb”, “Atomic Bomb”, and “Second World War”. Two sources I found were “Prompt and Utter Destruction: Truman and the Use of Atomic Bombs Against Japan” by J. Samuel Walker and “The most controversial decision : Truman, the atomic bombs, and the defeat of Japan” by Wilson D. Miscamble.
2. Briefly describe the internet research that you did. What words did you google successfully? Name at least one useful website. Do not include web based library card catalogs in this section.
For the internet research that i have done so far I have used google scholar (scholar.google.com) as it is a much more reliable version of google that generally gives only scholarly resources. The first search I tried typing in: Causes of the bombings on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. This mostly gave me articles about cancer cause from exposure to radiation in these areas. Next i searched: what caused the Allies to drop the nuclear bombs on japan? This gave me much better sources. The best i found is an article From Harper’s Magazine in 1947 that was written by former secretary of war Henry Lewis Stimson. In the Article Stimson lists the reasons why the Truman administration made the decision to drop the bomb.
3. You should talk to at least one member of this history department about your topic, or at least an expert in your field. Name that expert and briefly describe his/her comments.
Next week I am meeting with Professor Porter Blakemore about my topic. I will post updated comments after the meeting.
4. You must have a primary source for this paper. Provide any pertinent information on that primary source including website and/or call number
The main Primary source I have is an article written by Former Secretary of War Henry Lewis Stimson defending the decision by the Truman administration for dropping the bombs.
5. Are enough secondary sources available on this topic? Tell me a bit about what you found.
There is an abundance of primary and secondary sources on this topic for it is a fairly popularly debated and reported on topic. The two secondary, possibly primary) sources I have as of now are “Prompt and Utter Destruction: Truman and the Use of Atomic Bombs Against Japan” by J. Samuel Walker and “The most controversial decision : Truman, the atomic bombs, and the defeat of Japan” by Wilson D. Miscamble.
6. Finally, describe your conversations with me about your topic and how your topic has evolved as a result.
I have not yet had a meeting with the professor yet. I will update this as soon as I do.